Research has the power to change lives!!
Research is our only way of understanding all there is to know about diabetes, why it develops and who is at risk.
The number of people living with diabetes all over the world is at an all time high and all types are increasing at an alarming rate.
Did you know:
- 280 people develop diabetes every day in Australia
- That's 1 person every 5 mins and we could fill the MCG every year with newly diagnosed people
- Your risk of heart disease, blindness, kidney failure and stroke, dementia are increased by diabetes
We must invest in research if we want to change this. We've made incredible steps so far but we need to step our effort up to make and further changes.
We want to:
- Predict who will develop type 1 diabetes and prevent it
- Prevent complications like blindness, heart disease and kidney failure from developing
- Help people live happy and healthy lives with diabetes with the best possible treatments and delivery systems
- We want to help people know their risk of developing type 2 diabetes and how they can prevent it
- Find a cure
With world-class research and institutions collaborating around the world, we have a real chance of improving the lives of millions of many people.
We know living with diabetes is tough. It's much easier than in the past when injections were painful and insulin often made people sick. We now have insulin pens, insulin pumps, better medications and easier blood glucose testing. The artificial pancreas is being trialed and ther are mnay new and exiting developments underway.
Our research at its best
- DRWA Research Grants
- Our Publications
- The Centre for Diabetes Research
- Type 1 Diabetes Research
- Type 2 Diabetes Research
- Diabetes Complications Research
Diabetes Health online have some inspiring stories to share: http://digital.diabeteshealth.com/read/13/10/pro/6.html