You've landed on the right page......
You can donate by:
- Credit card
- Direct bank transfer. Details - Account name: Diabetes Research WA BSB: 306 057 Acc #: 4159501
- Making and EOY donation and claim it on your tax
- Giving regularly
- Buying an Entertainment Book
- Giving from your salary or wages (Workplace giving
- Corporate Sponsorship
- Leaving a gift in your Will
- Grab some cool stuff from our little Shop
Send us an email for more info.
Diabetes, in all its forms, is the fastest growing chronic condition worldwide. The International Diabetes Federation states there are 463 million people living with diabetes and this number will rise to 700 million by 2045. 232 million people remain undiagnosed and are not receiving care and treatment. Every 6 seconds someone dies from diabetes related complications!
These figures are alarming and we recognise the only way to stem this rise is to increase our efforts in research. Research is the key and the only way we can change the future.
Diabetes occurs when the body doesn't produce insulin or cannot use it. Insulin is a hormone made by the pancreas, that acts like a key to let glucose from the food we eat pass from the blood stream into the cells in the body to produce energy. All carbohydrate foods are broken down into glucose in the blood. Insulin helps glucose get into the cells.
Diabetes has three main types:
- Type 1 Diabetes - insulin is not longer produced and is required to survive
- Type 2 Diabetes - insulin is either not produced in enough quantities or the body cannot use it
- Gestational Diabetes - occurs during pregnancy and increases the risk for both mother and baby in childbirth and developing diabetes later in life.
Diabetes Research WA's sole focus is to provide funding for research that will lead to a cure and improve the quality of life for those living with it. You can help by donating in the knowledge that monies donated are provided directly to research grants directly linked to diabetes in Western Australia.